
Milton councillors are raising concerns over the growing safety risks posed by additional residential units (ARUs), citing overcrowding as a key issue since local regulations changed last year. In response, a new registry aims to bring order and address these safety concerns.
ARUs, commonly known as basement apartments, granny flats, or garden suites, are secondary living spaces within a property, equipped with essential amenities such as a kitchen, sleeping area, and bathroom.
Starting today (April 1), property owners must register both new and existing ARUs for a one-time fee of $340 per unit.
The updated regulations will establish an official ARU registry and improve property and building numbering. This initiative will provide Milton Fire and other emergency services with accurate unit information, allowing for faster and more efficient emergency responses.
“The adoption of the ARU registry and clear property numbering will ensure critical emergency responses for fire rescue services, enhance occupant safety, and ensure compliance with municipal regulations,” said Milton Fire Chief Peter Gatto during a recent council meeting.
Gatto emphasized that the initiative aligns with the Ontario Fire Marshal’s three lines of defense: public education and prevention, fire safety standards and enforcement, and emergency response.
As part of the program, bylaw and fire prevention officers will conduct visits to educate property owners on safety requirements. They will also enforce building and fire codes, ensuring the presence of key safety features such as interconnected smoke alarms, fire-rated doors, and sprinkler-protected heating areas.
During the meeting, Councillor Sameera Ali highlighted a broader issue—ARU misuse.
“A lot of us on council receive complaints about people misusing the ARU permitting process, creating homes with three kitchens, 12 rooms, and 20 cars parked outside,” she said. “It has become a huge problem in Milton, so I hope this bylaw update helps address that as well.”
Disclaimer: The information presented in this news article has been gathered from local news sources. Please refer to the provided references for verification. Click Here.
Feel free to reach out to us at news@miltonbaithak.ca or follow us on WhatsApp, with any news tips, story ideas, or information you'd like to share. As a dedicated platform focused on advertising and curating news centered around MILTON, we welcome submissions related to businesses, news within the business sector, or inquiries about other people. Our goal is to assist you, whether you're interested in featuring your business or sharing relevant news.
Yorumlar